This has been a rather eventful
year. We began the year by finishing the “studio” down in our basement
(complete with sound proof walls). We also keep a bed down there for extra
guests (hint, hint). It’s become quite the relaxing spot and now I often
find myself sauntering down to the studio to get away from the noise of my
SEVEN (that’s right, we had another one)
children. I usually do it under the disguise of saying something to
my son like, “Josh why don’t you come down and lay down by daddy. You
look terribly exhausted.” It seems to work every time and so far, Wendy
doesn’t seem to mind because I’ve been able to extinguish 1/7th of
the noise.
Janika, on the other hand, never
seems to get tired and wouldn’t even consider taking a nap. She turned 13
this year and is busy doing, doing, doing. She auditioned in January for
Les Miserables at Tuacahn and was accepted to be the understudy for little
Eponine. Of course I wouldn’t allow her to do it alone, so when I
witnessed her quickly moving up through the ranks at auditions I threw my
resume in as well. Fortunately we both made the show and I was able
to protect Janika from any of the evil influences that
theater life has to offer (actually, she was the one protecting me.) She
earned a nice stash of money for a child her age. She also did very well in this year’s Reflection’s
Contest. The theme for this year was “Wow!” Janika entered in
three categories: musical composition, literature, and
photography. She received an honorable mention in
photography, 2nd place in literature for her story, and 1st
place for her song! Her song progressed to district and we
are still waiting to hear the outcome. I think she’s got a great
shot at it though.
Jase just turned eleven years old
and likes to play anything, anywhere, anytime. He is great at
sports, loves computer and video games, and has a knack for Rummikub.
Unfortunately this is affecting his house work responsibilities, specifically
his bedroom. However, he is learning how to manage his time effectively this year
and has found that procrastination doesn’t pay off. He was accepted into
the ELP program, which is a program for advanced students. He is
extremely smart and alert in school and we’re hoping that those qualities will
eventually carry over into his life at home. Jase has also been
extremely involved in scouts and earned his Arrow of Light along with every
extra pin possible! He and Jared have also enjoyed their elementary
school choir.
Janelle tuned 6 this year and
started kindergarten. She is very open to learning and is doing extremely
well in class. She is like a sponge, soaking up every bit of knowledge we
throw at her. She is very outgoing and a a great little artist, reader
and writer. She is very sensitive and cried when she heard Jared’s song
on our family CD because it “was so pretty!” She enjoys socializing
with the boy next door, whom she has vowed to marry someday.
We’ll have to keep an eye on that relationship!
Josh is 2 ½ years old. Often
he will play nicely by himself with his magnets or games and then pick them all
up when he is finished. He knows all of his letters and colors and
can count to ten and beyond! But if he accidentally drops something on
the floor that he can’t reach then watch out!! He can be full of fun and
wanting to play one minute and then running away from me the next
- wanting nothing to do with me (You’re probably thinking that he may feel
a lot like his mother, since she’s had our 7th child).
Josh talks so well and his terminology often sounds very mature, but he still seems to let out his most frustrating feelings with harsh and penetrating high pitched screams. Though we tell him to use his words or his signs, he seems to ignore us and continues to alert the household of his misfortune. We retreat to the studio or the bathroom during these deafening moments and realize that the money we spent to complete the studio was well worth the investment.
Jenna is 2 ½ months with
chubby cheeks and bright blue eyes. She keeps her mom busy trying
to protect her from the mauling of her siblings. She has started
smiling and cooing and kicking her legs. She likes her bouncy chair and
swing and loves it when someone plays with her! It is so much fun
having a new baby to snuggle and hold.
Wendy has been busy (and tired) this
year going through another pregnancy while keeping up with all of the other
children. She gave birth to Jennalee Jensen Oct. 3rd and
has since stated she is finished having kids (hey, didn’t she say that in our
last Christmas newsletter too?) The older I become the more
I see her wisdom. Since we have had our last child, we can now move on to
the next phase of our lives - - teenagers!
Wendy has also been a huge support this year. While I was gallivanting off to Tuacahn with Janika during the summer she stayed home, 7 months pregnant, taking care of the other children. She’s also been a huge support to me in our new calling. About 4 months ago I was called to be the Branch President of the Red Cliffs 7th Deaf Branch. The calling was a huge surprise to me, since we don’t even live in that stake, but Wendy was much more in tune than I was and on our way to receive the calling, knew what was about to happen. Upon receiving the calling she was open and accepting to the life of sitting alone during sacrament meeting with seven young children so that her husband could sit on the stand and reprimand his children from afar. Serving in the Deaf branch has been a tremendous growth experience for us and our whole family. We’re hoping that it will increase our skills in sign language and that our children will also pickup on the language.
Wendy has also been a huge support this year. While I was gallivanting off to Tuacahn with Janika during the summer she stayed home, 7 months pregnant, taking care of the other children. She’s also been a huge support to me in our new calling. About 4 months ago I was called to be the Branch President of the Red Cliffs 7th Deaf Branch. The calling was a huge surprise to me, since we don’t even live in that stake, but Wendy was much more in tune than I was and on our way to receive the calling, knew what was about to happen. Upon receiving the calling she was open and accepting to the life of sitting alone during sacrament meeting with seven young children so that her husband could sit on the stand and reprimand his children from afar. Serving in the Deaf branch has been a tremendous growth experience for us and our whole family. We’re hoping that it will increase our skills in sign language and that our children will also pickup on the language.
This year Wendy has really
gotten into blogging. She started our family blog and updates it
continually. Unfortunately blogging doesn’t bring in any money and so she decided to teach
an evening ASL class at Dixie College again next Semester. She also
freelance interprets for the Deaf when she gets a chance. Like many of
our friends, Wendy turned 29 this year and has chosen to remain there with her
eternally youthful 29 year old husband.
I am still teaching seminary at Snow
Canyon Middle Seminary but this year took on the added responsibility of
becoming the principal for the seminary. It has been a fun challenge that
has extra benefits because of the wonderful people I work with. I’ve also
had the opportunity this year to once again be involved with the strengthening
families program. Teaching that class has made me realize how fortunate I
am to have the family I have, and live the way I do. Because of my new
calling, and the time it takes to be involved with the Deaf branch, I chose not
to do the Carolers this year. I really miss being able to go out and sing
at Christmastime, but I know I’m doing the right thing with my time. Maybe
when we have a routine down next year we’ll start it again.
As
the year seems to have flown by so quickly I’m reminded of a scripture in the
book of Jacob which says , “our lives passed away like as it were unto us a
dream” (Jacob 7:26). Thank heavens we are having a good dream and not a
nightmare! We’re certain that the reason we are not experiencing a
nightmarish life is because of the teachings of Jesus Christ and His
gospel. During this season we find ourselves especially grateful
for his birth and for his atonement. We are also thankful that you have been a
part of our dreamy life and wish you and your family a Merry Christmas!!

No comments:
Post a Comment