Tuesday, December 25, 2001

Merry Christmas 2001

What a fun and crazy year we’ve had!  Our kids just seem to be getting bigger (and noisier) everyday! Janika just turned six and started kindergarten this year at Red Mountain Elementary School. She absolutely loves it!  She rides the bus to and from school each day and helps take care of Jase and Jared when she is home. Jase just turned four this year and wants to know why Janika gets to go to school and he doesn’t!  He spends the morning playing with his little buddy Jared who will be two in March.  They sure make life hectic but fun!

We have had a very busy year, but took some time out for a few vacations.  During Spring Break we got the wild idea to head up to Disneyland with the kids and spend a few days!  I got a great deal on the hotel and so we drove out and had a wonderful time with the kids!  We took all three of them – even the baby – and had a great time!  In fact, we may do it again next year.  
Since we took the trip with the kids Wendy and I decided we needed one all to ourselves.  I found a killer deal on a cruise and asked our good friends Curtis and Stephanie Healey to join us.  They accepted and we were ready for a wonderful vacation.  Unfortunately, the boat never left the dock. The cruise line ended up canceling the cruise, refunded all of our money, and gave us a credit toward another cruise next year.  Though it was disappointing, we were able to spend 3 fun days on a boat with all the food we could eat and some great entertainment.  It was like being on a floating hotel that never left Miami! Hopefully next time we will actually go somewhere.

Shortly after our "cruise" Rick and I went to the CES Convention at Bryce Canyon. The theme was "The Book of Mormon will change your life." The whole convention was on change and submitting our will to the Lords. It was really good! (Except for the part where we road mules along the edges of cliffs overlooking the canyon. That was absolutely terrifying!) I am usually not afraid of heights as long as I know I am safe, but I definitely did not feel safe riding on a mule close to the edge of a cliff! Other than that we had a great time! 
Wendy has been rather busy being a mom and teaching her Sign Language Class at Dixie State College.  She is still doing interpreting on a freelance basis and she recently has taken on another job with the state of Utah as a mentor to help other interpreters achieve certification.  It is really nice since the hours are very flexible and part-time.  Since this new job has started she has been extremely busy!  She is currently serving as the 1st counselor in the primary presidency and shares her talents with the ward by playing for the ward choir.  She’s also been volunteering in Janika’s class one morning a week which helps her know what is going on with her daughter’s schooling.  Janika loves it whenever she comes in.

 I’ve been extremely busy this year as well.  I’m still teaching seminary at Tuacahn High School for the Performing Arts and teaching one class at Snow Canyon Jr. Seminary.  It’s a great job and I find it very enjoyable.  I am also still teaching computer classes at the college as well as Infowest Internet services.  I recently received a new calling in our ward as executive secretary to the Bishop and I still serve as Choir director.

This year Wendy and I decided to try putting Hands in Harmony, our caroling group, back together again.  I auditioned quite a number of kids and pulled those that I wanted into the small group.  It has been a crazy first year for the carolers and we’ve had many obstacles to overcome, but overall St. George has absolutely loved them.  They have been in the newspaper and on the radio and have performed all over St. George!  I have scheduled them about  4 – 5 nights a week with 2-4 performances each of those nights.  There are times I feel I’ve overbooked them because of the hectic schedules we have been living this past month, but overall it has been a great year for the carolers!  Heavenly Father has blessed us with so much – a wonderful family, good health, and talents that we can use to uplift and help others. We have reason to count our many blessings! 



No comments:

Post a Comment